Wednesday, February 5, 2014

When I had social anxiety and pulled up to a traffic light, my self-consciousness would go on high alert and I was so self-conscious that I couldn't look around. I just knew that other people were looking at me and judging me, that they didn't like me for some reason. I tensed up my muscles and endured the anxiety, which would give me a headache if it happened too much. Being on display or feeling that everyone is staring at you negatively is always irrational. In therapy, we get you to prove to yourself what is actually true in a situation, and what isn't. For example, IS everyone in the room looking at you and do they have hateful expressions on their faces? You'll never know until you look around and find out the truth (i.e., what is rational in this situation).
https://socialanxietyinstitute.org/top-10-list-feelings-social-anxiety-causes

No comments:

Post a Comment